Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Homemade Puppet Show

I ordered Joseph's birthday present a couple of weeks ago. (I am really on the ball, this time! His birthday isn't until November!) It came in a big, long box and I got to looking at it last night. The longer I looked, the more the idea formed: a puppet show!

I started by taping up the flaps to make the box deeper. Then I ran a really long piece of tape all the way around the outside of the flaps, to increase durability.


Next, I marked a square opening and cut a hole in the front with a steak knife. It went pretty easily.


I found a large bottle of craft paint (left over from painting in the girls' room) and painted the front and part of the sides.


A proper puppet show has a curtain to hide the puppeteer. I had a pressure curtain rod tucked away. I knew there was a reason I didn't throw it out! See? Sometimes, you really do need that stuff you just can't toss out. I pulled some fabric out of my stash, serged from selvage to selvage and made a simple casing.


I punched some holes for the rod about 6 inches back from the front of the box, put one end through the box, slipped the rod through the casing in the fabric and out the other side of the box.


Now, all it needed was a sign.


The puppet show is ready for action! Sarah is modeling how to do it.


But she just can't resist being part of the show.


The project cost me ZERO dollars! I made the curtain wide enough to use in a larger box should this one die and we need to make a different one or different size. My total time spent on the project was about an hour and a half.

7 comments:

  1. Gosh, will you please come be my nanny. Let's see . . . how did I just spend the last hour and a half? Oh, I know. Sitting on my butt at the computer while my bored kids destroyed the house. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! (So is Sarah!) I have a garage-sale puppet theater that hangs in a doorway--not nearly so cute as this--that my kids love to play with. I am so amused by the stories that they make up. It is such a fun toy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah is a genuine entertainer, but you need to put some garish makeup on her.

    ReplyDelete